English 4 & 5 Points
A Successful Opinion Essay Consists of:
Opinion essayOpinion essay is a formal piece of essay writing which presents the author’s point of view on a particular subject supported by reasons and examples. The opposing viewpoint is also suggested, it goes with arguments that show that it is unconvincing.
A Successful Opinion Essay Consists of:
- An introduction where the topic and the author’s opinion are stated clearly.
- A main body where viewpoints supported by reasons are presented in several paragraphs. This section has also the opposing viewpoint which is proved to be unconvincing.
- A conclusion where the main points of the essay are summarized and the author’s opinion is restated in other words.
Useful Tips for Writing an Opinion Essay:
- Decide your opinion as for the topic discussed
- Make a list of viewpoints and reasons supporting your point of view
- Write well-developed paragraphs
- Use linking words and phrases to join the sentences and the paragraphs within the text
- Start each paragraph with a topic sentence
- Address to the reader directly
- Start with a quotation
- Start with a thought provoking or rhetorical question
- Refer to some striking or unusual fact, idea or situation
Use the Following Expressions to Give Your Opinion:
- Write in a formal style Introduce the topic clearly
- State clear topic sentences
- Use generalizations
- Use quotations
Basic Dont’s in Writing an Opinion Essay:
- Don’t use colloquial expressions
- Don’t use short forms
- Don’t use emotive vocabulary
- Don’t use over-generalizations
- Don’t use statistics without proper referencing
- Don’t give personal examples
1. Mobile phones at school (For and Against essay)
Nowadays more and more students bring their mobile phones to school. While I believe that students should carry mobile phones in case of an emergency, I am strongly opposed to phones being used at school, particularly in the classroom.
Firstly, many students travel to and from school without their parents. Therefore, it is important for them to have a mobile phone in case they need help or have an accident on the way to school or home. Furthermore, parents who work may need to contact their children. For example, if a parent has to work late, the student has to be told if arrangements have been made for a relative or neighbour to look after them.
On the other hand, nothing is more disruptive during a lesson than the sound of a mobile phone ringing or playing an annoying tune. Moreover, students who send and receive text messages in class are not paying attention to the lesson.
In conclusion, I feel that students should be allowed to take mobile phones to school for use in an emergency. However, all phones should certainly be turned off during lessons.
2. (PROBLEM SOLVING) (For essay)
Many students do not finish school. Why is this, and how can the problem be solved? School Drop-Outs: Problems and Solutions
Introduction: Today, although most students complete school, a large number still drop out because of family, social and work pressures. This problem requires serious action from both individuals and the government.
Body: Most students who do not complete school do so 1. because of family problems. 1.a. Girls, especially, want to get married and start a family. 1.b. Some parents are not interested in education and do not support their children in studying. 2. Social problems are also a contributing factor. 2.a Education is compulsory but, despite this, some people do not take it seriously. Furthermore, 2.b. jobs are available even if students do not have a good education. 3. The third reason is work pressure. 3.a Some families are poor and need their children to work in order to increase the income. All these problems will create young people who do not have any skills and who will not be able to improve their lives for the family and the country.
There are several things that can be done about these problems. Parents should be encouraged to send their children to school. Schools with baby-minding facilities should be opened specially for married students. The government needs to stress the importance of education and even offer financial support to students to continue. This will encourage students to stay at school rather than start working.
In conclusion, there are several things that the government can do to allow more people to finish school. However, a number of society attitudes also have to change if the country’s young people are to achieve their full potential